Education Agent

Once you’ve made the decision to study in Australia and you know where you want to study and which course you want to undertake, you can enroll directly with the institution. If, however, you need more help with the admission application process or the Australia visa application process, you can choose to use an education agent.

An education agent can tell you about your options for studying and living in Australia and assist with your visa and institution applications. In many cases, agents have had experience studying in Australia and can share their experiences with you. In addition, because they are dealing every day with application and visa application requirements they will be able to give you guidance for your particular situation.

Here are some tips for choosing an agent:

  • Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution that uses the services of an education agent needs to have a contract with that organization.
  • Australian education institutions usually have more than one education agent appointed in a country so speak to more than one agent – collect and compare the information.
  • Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution has to list on its website every education agent it has appointed to represent them in each country.
  • Choose an education agent with experience helping students study in Australia – they will have a good knowledge of the Australian education system, visas, and life in Australia.
  • Make sure that the agent is an authorized representative of the institution that you want to apply to. You can ask to see their letter of appointment from the institutions if you want.
  • Ask about any fees that may be levied for using their services.
  • Have a third party or friend help you understand the documents before you sign any documents.
  • Remember, education agents cannot guarantee a permanent visa or work placement in Australia after you graduate. Their job is to help with applications, so if it sounds too good to be true, keep looking. A reputable agent will be honest about the application process.

If you need migration advice use a migration agent who is registered in Australia. Some Registered Migration Agents are located overseas or have representatives in international markets. If an education agent is based in Australia, it is against the law for them to provide you with migration advice, unless they are also a Registered Migration Agent.